Ladies, if Halloween is your excuse to test out whole new persona, one belonging to a person who wears very little clothing, perhaps, that is your choice. I am not your mother! Power to you. But it can be cold in late October, and latex smells bad and starts to bind after a long evening of candy corn eating and spiced cider drinking. Here are some super-easy, comfy, and even a little bit fashiony alternatives:
1. Hippie: All that Free People stuff you bought? Wear it. All of it. The more fringes, tie-dye and feathers the better. A pair of Birkenstocks couldn’t hurt. Don’t forget the beaded headband.
2. Frida Kahlo: Wear a colorful maxi skirt or dress with your largest jewelry, braid and part your hair in the middle, color in a stache and uni-brow with eye-pencil. See my version from a few years ago above (what you didn’t know she had a fling with Clint Eastwood?)!
3. Cowgirl: You already own everything it takes to be a cowgirl, but you normally wouldn’t be caught dead wearing them all at once. This is your chance! Break out the plaid flannel shirt, cowboy boots, hat, big western belt, and put ’em all on, pardner.
4. Self Portrait: Grab an old frame, maybe one of those lightweight poster ones or if you’re more committed and have a strong upper body, a carved wooden or plaster one. Carry it around framing your face. Extra points: wear something with a frilly high collar and put your hair up to make it seem old-timey. Extra extra points: sign a piece of paper and pin it to your shoulder to depict the artist’s signature. [Real Simple]
5. Waldo: Waldo might be a boy, but he’s kind of asexual, no? Jeans, red and white striped shirt (maybe even this one if you’re feeling sassy), red and white knit hat (or here), done. Even if it’s a sports teamy hat and you’re of the female persuasion, everyone will know you’re Waldo. [Huffington Post]
6. Animal magnetism: Got some stuffed animals? Pin them all over your person. You are animal magnetism. This one is actually not fashiony at all. Unless maybe you use all designer doggies or something. [Huffington Post]
7. Pinup girl: Wear a black t-shirt, pin safety pins to your shirt in the shape of an “UP” arrow. You are a pinup girl, no tight clothing or chill-catching needed, to the annoyance of everyone who wishes you were dressed as Betty Page! [Today Show]
9. Lion: This is for kids but would be just as cute for an adult! Attach a bunch of yellow, gold and brown super chunky yarn to a hat and tease it out. It’s a bit more time consuming than I’d prefer, but you can work on that while you’re watching Breaking Bad. Wear a gold dress with your mane! [iVillage]
10. Headless Horseman: Button a collared shirt you don’t care about above your head, preferably in a dark color. Cut eyeholes. Carry a (plastic or real) pumpkin around. I dressed as this when I was a kid and it was a hoot. To make it fashiony, put a fancy hat on your pumpkin.