I promise I’m wearing makeup. Frida’s glow is 100% natural.
I was once walking through Neiman Marcus, heading out of the store, late as usual to get somewhere as I passed through the beauty department. A woman from one of the brands lunged at me and exclaimed: “No makeup! Let’s do your face!” In my mind I said: “I’ll have you know I spent a good 10 minutes applying this makeup.” But I just told her sorry, I’m in a rush. But I was offended that my beauty efforts were apparently not apparent. Then I realized it was a compliment, because looking like I’m not wearing makeup is my goal. There are those special events when I want a little something special, like winged eyeliner or a bold lip. But on a day-to-day basis, I’m all about the natural look.
Summer is the perfect time to experiment with the no-makeup makeup look, and it’s super easy (as it should be) to achieve. Here are my five essentials for looking like I’m not wearing any makeup. I mean you obviously could just not wear any makeup, but for me that would mean invisibly small eyes and sun damage spots and god knows what else. Also a note: I’ve always had oily skin so I tend to go for powder makeup (I know everyone says its good and ok to use moisturizing makeup on oily skin but I’m 46 and averse to change), but you could easily make substitutions if you’re more of a liquid/cream makeup kinda gal. Check out my essentials below!
1. Dr. Gross Glow Pads, $32 for 20—I use these in the evening on my face, neck, and even my chest and shoulders. The pad is pretty large and if I use it all on my face I get too dark. The good thing about using it at night is you can exfoliate some of the tan away in the morning if it’s a bit too much. If you use it in the morning, you might get a fun tropical surprise in the mirror come lunch time.
2. Bare Minerals SPF 20 Summer Bisque Concealer, $32—I use this under my eyes and to cover hyperpigmentation or breakouts (yes they still happen after 40, wth).
3. Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel, $22—It was kind of magical when I discovered how much defining your brows can transform your face. I try to never leave the house without a couple swipes of this stuff. It only takes a second.
4. Benefit Rockateur, $28—This has a little shimmer, but still looks natural. I apply it just to the apple of my cheeks to look a little more alive.
5. Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara, $20—I got a free sample of this stuff and fell in love with it. Tarte claims you get a 406 percent increase in lash volume plus healthier lashes in the longterm, and it doesn’t contain phalates or synthetic fragrances or dye. Personally I love the pop it gives my lashes.