School starts this week! Yesterday I discussed the issue of getting up early again after a summer of luxurious sleeping in. I provided some tips on how to get dressed and out the door fast, while maintaining some semblance of style. In addition to getting dressed, there is also the matter of the face. I do not have time for extensive makeup, well, ever, let alone when I’m schlepping kids off to school or daycare. But I don’t think anyone wants to see me when I’ve actually woken up like that.
So I’ve narrowed my beauty routine down to a half-dozen items that are quick, easy, and effective — and some even allow you to plan ahead. The less you have to think about on school-day mornings the better, right?
1. Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pads, $35: Apply one of these to your face and neck in the evening and you’ll wake up with a glowing face that requires little to no makeup. Note: You might want to opt for a darker-colored pillow case.
2. Tarte Cheek Stain in Flush, $30: If you do want to add a little something extra, this all-purpose stick will do the trick. You can also use it on your lips and eyelids!
3. Burt’s Bees Soothing Lip Balm With Eucalyptus and Menthol, $3.29: If you use the cheek stain on your lips, there’s a chance it could make them feel a bit dry. I always like to swipe a balm over my lip color anyway, and this one has a minty tingle that will wake you right up.
4. Yes to Blueberries Age Refresh Eye-Firming Treatment, $16: I got this as a gift when I attended an event about a year ago. I’ve used it almost daily, it’s still not gone, and I swear the puffiness under my eyes has been minimized.
5. Kevin Murphy Motion Lotion, $30: Finger-comb this through your hair when it’s damp, then twist it into ringlets and let it air dry. If you’re lucky you’ll get a few days out of the beachy-waves style. Plus it smells amazing!
6. Demeter Dirt Cologne Spray, $20: If you’re like me you probably won’t have time to shower in the morning. I have been a fan of this scent for about 20 years. It reminds me of playing in the dirt as a kid but is also strangely fresh. And it’s subtle enough that it won’t overpower the carpool.