Tails were originally created to facilitate horseback riding. The Red Coats wore them in the 18th century, American soldiers wore them during the War of 1812, and Charlie Chaplin adorably favored tails in the early 20th century. Men still wear them on fancy schmancy occasions, but we like them much better as reimagined by Alexander Wang (it seemed like everything in his Fall 2010 RTW collection had tails), Bird by Juicy and Rag and Bone, who are making tails look fresh on women’s jackets for fall. It’s a statement piece you can throw on with nothing more than jeans and a white T and still turn the most heads in the room. These jackets are perfect as temperatures drop (for most of the country) in the fall. Here in San Francisco we’re wearing ours now!
1. General Winfield Scott
2. Charlie Chaplin
3. Rag & Bone Cravat Coat $525, Ssense
4. Bird by Juicy Couture Taylor Jacket $598, ShopBop
5. LNA Stripe Mesh Tail Tank $67, Chickdowntown
6. Jennine Jacob at The Coveted rocks some tails by Bird by Juicy Couture
7. LNA Fleece Side Tail Hoodie $95, Bluefly