2011 was the first full year of operation for Stylenik, and it was an exciting and full one! Here’s a summary, in chronological order, of the best stuff that happened. There was, of course lots more good stuff, but you know how top 10 lists go: you have to have 10 things.
1. My former contributor Naomi Thatcher (now Bikis, she got hitched, congrats!) wrote an excellent post that matched “bomo” (bohemian + modern, get it?) looks with modern folk songs. The post did great, and earlier this year Naomi landed a sweet gig as an assistant editor and fashion writer with Tank magazine in London. Go Naomi!
2. For New York fashion week’s fall and winter 2011 extravaganza, I made it my goal to attempt to go without a handbag like the intrepid Emmanuelle Alt. It didn’t go 100 percent smoothly, but it was an interesting experiment. The result: I definitely need a handbag.
3. The hippie wedding dress meme was born, and I pray it shall never die.
4. The ferocious honey badger won over everyone’s hearts and became Stylenik’s honorary mascot.
5. In March, Hamish Bowles graced San Francisco with his presence to present his curation of Balenciaga’s designs at the De Young Museum. I cornered Mr. Bowles for a little chat during which Katie Hintz-Zambrano of Refinery29 San Francisco snapped the above photo (thanks Katie!).
6. My lovely correspondents Robyn Ross and Wendy Chernin covered Miami Swim Fashion week and hit a Stylenik traffic record with a post that mentioned Nikki Sixx’s girlfriend Courtney Bingham, who walked for Shay Todd.
7. New York fashion week’s spring and summer 2012 presentations were a whirlwind of back to back shows, making me realize that I am but one person and attending 10 shows in one day is not advisable. But there were two major highlights: meeting and interviewing Jane Pratt, and a brief chat with legendary New York Times street fashion photographer Bill Cunningham.
10. Mira Pickett of Mira Mira, a fantastic boutique in San Francisco, honored me by featuring my Polaroid portrait on her flyer for the holiday party she co-hosted with Photobooth and Rue magazine. What a great way to wrap up a year I’m truly grateful and humble to have experienced.
Here’s to an even more exciting 2012! Happy New Year everyone!